Saturday, November 24, 2012

Turkey Stock

I'm trying my hardest to get recipes up more often than every 6 months, so here's the 2nd one this week. This one is really a "gimme", you make it from the leftover parts of your turkey that you would just be throwing away anyhow.

Bones and scraps form your turkey, once all the meat has been picked from it (don't worry if there's some meat left on it, that's okay.)
4 or 5 carrots, broken into pieces
4 or 5 stalks of celery, broken into pieces
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
1 T. peppercorns
2T. salt (I use kosher, because I prefer the flavor
1T. ground sage

Put all this into a very large pot and cover it with water. At least a gallon of water, but more if your pot can hold it. Start with cold water, it allows everything to come to temperature at the same time.
Put it on the stove and cook on low. I usually put it on right before I go to sleep and let it cook away overnight. It shouldn't be boiling, just a gentle simmer. (No bubbles breaking the surface). I know some people are nervous about leaving the stove on overnight, so if that's the case, just let it cook all day. I usually let it go 8-12 hours, depending on how busy I am the next morning. When I get up, I turn it off and remove it from the heat so it can cool a bit. Then I strain it through a large strainer to get the bones and veggies out, then through a fine mesh strainer to get the peppercorns out. I store it in quart mason jars in the fridge, or in plastic storage containers if it's going into the freezer. I use it everywhere a recipe calls for chicken stock or broth. It also makes a delicious base for turkey noodle soup. The bones and veggies will be "spent" from the long cooking, and won't have any flavor left, so go ahead and throw them away. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment